Saturday, December 26, 2009

The Joy of Christmas

Ahhh, do you hear it? The silence of the day after Christmas. Don't you just love this time of year? I certainly do. I could list countless trivial reasons like being able to have special decorations all over my house and classroom...or having special music to play in my classroom and on my CD player at home...or having a month to wear my storage bin full of "Christmasy" shirts and sweaters. But alas, those reasons are trivial...and simply smile inducing.

So, let's go to some stronger reasons. I must confess it's nice to have a two week break from teaching, though it's two unpaid weeks...it's a nice treat just the same. It's great to spend time with my "favorite nephew in all the world". We have our own traditions for this time of year, including buying/wrapping a special "secret" gift for his parents, making "crafty" Christmas presents for the family, and making cut-out cookies which he decorates or instructs me on how to decorate them. It's also a treat to take the time to sit down and actually use the postal service to send out a card to special friends to let them know they're still in my heart though time and distance separate most of us.

OK, let's get real now...those reasons shared are fine and good. However, they don't compare to the true reason for my joy. As much as I love my family and singing songs...and spreading cheer, the reason for my joy is the One whose birth I celebrate. To think that God loved us/me so much that He sent His one and only Son down to live as a man to take the penalty for my sin. It's simply...overwhelming. He loves me...more than anyone could ever attempt to love me. So, for a month, I have every right to sing all the songs I want about His birth and His life. I have the privilege to sing songs that focus on Him whether I'm at home, at school, or at work. Ahhh, the joy of Christmas. But, here's the greatest part...

My tree may be down (yep, my cat Jasper drives me so nuts with the tree that I take it down the day after), my CDs may be packed away (but my new Steven Curtis Chapman CD is playing as I type), and my "Christmas" clothing are back in their storage bin...but the joy remains. The songs...are still being sung in my heart. The true story of Christmas, the birth of my Savior, is never far from my thoughts. And, my careful planning in "collecting" allows me to have a few nativities out all year long...as a visual reminder of the Best Gift I've ever been given...and shall ever receive.

So, my friends, keep the joy of Christmas in your heart with the daily routine that returns so quickly. Sing the Truth of Christmas in your daily songs or thoughts. Kneel before His throne daily, just as the shepherds must have kneeled before the manger all those years ago.

Thank you, Father, for the Best Christmas gift of all...Your Son, my Savior, Jesus Christ the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment